Friday 8 May 2015

#33 About Johnny And Other Things!

     I suggest that we discuss COMMON MISTAKES this time. I am sure you are familiar with the mistakes because you probably made them lots of times and your teachers explained them to you         many times. But you keep making them!
                          So I want you to look at the three options in each set 
                                      and decide which sentence is right. 
                  Do not forget to write the five correct sentences in your comments.

1. About Johnny...
  • I and Johnny live here.
  • Johnny and I live here.
  • Johnny and me live here.
2. About summer...
  • It is more hot now.
  • It is much hot now.
  • It is hotter now.
3. About love...
  • She told me that she liked me.
  • She said me that she liked me
  • She told to me that she liked me.
4. About languages...
  • She speaks English good.
  • She speaks English well.
  • Her English is well.
5. About travelling...
  • When I will arrive, I will call you.
  • When I arrive, I will call you.
  • When I would arrive, I will call  you.

GOOD LUCK! I am waiting for your comments and correct answers! If you are not sure about some sentences, it is better to ask here, than make your teachers angry again and again! 

4 comments:

  1. TELL
    Tell is used mainly to share information, and normally only when the receiver of the information is mentioned. Do not use for quotes.
    Has she told you the good news, yet?
    Please tell us your name and occupation.
    Can you tell your story to me?
    The police officer told him to stop. [NOT The police offer told him, "Stop."]
    One exception to this rule is that the verb tell can be used to describe the sharing of less factual information, such as jokes, stories, and lies, without mentioning a receiver of the information.
    He loves telling stories.
    I'm telling the truth.

    SAY
    Say is used for exact quotes, and when the receiver isn’t mentioned in the sentence.
    “Good morning,” said the woman behind the counter.
    I just stopped by to say hello.
    I had only said three words before he interrupted me again.
    Say is also used to express opinions.
    I wouldn't say that he's a great guitarist [=I don't think he's a great guitarist].
    They say that you should drink eight glasses of water a day.

    ReplyDelete